Install Eclipse and ABAP for Eclipse
The easiest way to install Eclipse 4.6 (Neon) or 4.5 (Mars) is to use the Eclipse installer. The installer is available on the Eclipse website. The ABAP Development Tools (ADT) require (at a minimum) Eclipse IDE for Java Developers. The installation steps are as follows:
You can Download the Eclipse installer here
- Click On Download 64 bit.
- Start the Eclipse Installer.
- Select Eclipse IDE for Java Developers.
- Accept the Eclipse Foundation Software User Agreement.
- Wait for the installation to complete.
- Start Eclipse using the LAUNCH button.
- In the Workspace Launcher, accept the default workspace.
- The Eclipse 4.6 (Neon) or 4.5 (Mars) installation is complete.
Eclipse will ask for a “Workspace” location when you start it for the ﬁrst time. The workspace contains a collection of Eclipse speciﬁc resources. From the user’s perspective, there are three diﬀerent types of resources: projects, folders, and ﬁles. All stored in the location you select during that first startup.
Select the Use this as the default and do not ask again checkbox to set the selected Workspace as the default location. If necessary this can later be changed via the path:
Window→ Preferences → General→ Startup and Shutdown→ Workspaces
The ABAP Development Tools (ADT) can be installed by adding a software repository. All of the Eclipse SAP tools are hosted on the website: https://tools.hana.ondemand.com . To add a new software repository in Eclipse, perform the following steps:
Choose Help→ Install New Software
In the Add Repository window, enter a meaningful name and the location: https://tools.hana.ondemand.com/neon or https://tools.hana.ondemand.com/mars
Now the new software repository is scanned for available software.
As soon as repository scan is ﬁnished, the Available Software is shown. To install the ABAP Development Tools (ADT), proceed with the following steps:
- Select the ABAP Development Tools for SAP NetWeaver and choose Next.
- Review the Installation Details and choose Next.
- Accept the terms of the license agreements.
- Press Finish to start the installation.
- When the installation completes, restart Eclipse to ﬁnish the installation of the ABAP Development Tools (ADT).
By default, Eclipse will start with the Java development perspective, but this can be easily changed to the ABAP for Eclipse perspective. To open the ABAP for Eclipse perspective, perform the following steps:
- Click the Open Perspective button.
- Select the ABAP perspective.
- Choose OK.
To make sure that the ABAP for Eclipse perspective is opened by default perform the following steps:
- Select the Java Development button and open the context menu with a right mouse click.
- In the context menu, choose Close.
- Restart Eclipse to save these settings.
The software used for the ABAP Development Tools (ADT) is available on diﬀerent locations.Please use the following download locations as these are the oﬃcial download locations.These download locations will contain the newest patch levels of the applications. Always check with your local IT department if you are allowed to install and use these tools.
- Download Java SE8 JDK here
- Download Eclipse IDE for Java Developers version 4.6 (Neon) here
- Download Eclipse IDE for Java Developers version 4.5.2 (Mars 2) here
- Download ABAP Development Tools (ADT) here
The Java SE8 JDK is required for running Eclipse 4.6 (Neon) and the SAP ADT tools. Download the latest Java SE8 JDK version without the NetBeans, the SAP ADT Tools use Eclipse as an Integrated Development Environment (IDE).
The ABAP Development Tools (ADT) don’t need to be downloaded separately, as you will conﬁgure Eclipse to use the correct URL https://
tools.hana.ondemand.com/neon or https://tools.hana.ondemand.com/mars
as a new software site.